The US Department of Labor’s Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) has announced the availability of $10.5 million for mine safety training grants. The grants are to provide federally mandated training and retraining of miners and mine operators working at surface and underground coal and metal and nonmetal mines. The grants are available to any states in which mining takes place, and the MSHA will fund 80 percent of the training, with the state funding the remaining 20 percent. Grant applications were due at the end of May, and MSHA will award the grants by the end of September 2021.

MSHA, Arlington, VA, operates with the goal to prevent fatalities, disease, and injury from mining and secure safe and healthful working conditions for America’s miners. (6-21)