Keys to selecting a bulk storage tank
Bill Neighbors, Tank Connection
The single most important factor in choosing a bulk storage tank for your application is having a good understanding of your material's characteristics. Answering the following questions will help you determine which tank type and features are best suited to handling your material and storage requirements.
1. How much dry bulk material do I need to store?
2. Does my material have unique characteristics that may affect its storage or discharge?
3. What tank construction material is best suited to my material's characteristics?
4. What is my material's compacted density?
5. Is my material likely to degrade during storage?
6. Is my material likely to segregate during storage?
7. What type of discharge pattern (funnel flow, mass flow, or expanded flow) does my application require?
8. Will the tank's hopper require a flow aid to promote reliable discharge?
9. Should my material's flow characteristics be tested?
10. Will I need a guarantee from the tank vendor that the tank will perform reliably in my application?
For more information on selecting and specifying a steel tank for your application, you can read the article "Checklist: How to specify a top-quality steel tank for your bulk storage needs" by Bill Neighbors, Tank Connection. You can also find articles listed under "Storage" in PBE's Article Index.